Stefan here. This is my mom’s recipe for rhubarb pie. It’s a favorite of mine from childhood, and really it’s easy as … well … pie.
Without further ado….
- 2 pie crusts (top and bottom)
- 4 cups of diced rhubarb
- 1 and 1/2 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C flour
- 3 Tblsp milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- cinnamon sugar (to sprinkle on the crust)
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Arrange the bottom crust in your pie plate. Poke some holes in the bottom crust with a fork. Put the rhubarb on top of that.
3) In a bowl, mix the sugar, eggs, flour, milk, and nutmeg. Pour all that over the rhubarb in the pie crust.
4) Put top crust on the pie. My mom always does a lattice crust for this pie, as in the photo.
5) Brush top of crust with a bit of water and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Just wet your fingers and brush the crust lightly so that the cinnamon sugar sticks.
6) Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees F for another 25 minutes or so. The pie is done when the center of isn’t sloshy anymore. Voilà!