Last season, in an effort to eat more dill, I experimented with adding it to bean dishes. The results were delicious! This recipe comes from my girlfriend, Amanda Midkiff, who owns and operates Locust Light Farm in Titusville, NJ. Locust Light Farm is a medicinal herb farm.
1. In a large cooking pot, sauté onion in olive oil until it begins to turn light brown. Then add most of the minced garlic.
2. Chop up carrot into quarter moon slices. Add to cooking pot.
3. After about 10 minutes add the summer squash.
4. While the squash and carrots are cooking, drain and rinse beans.
5. Once the summer squash and carrots look light brown and cooked, stir in the beans.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, stir in chopped collards and dill.
8. Add the remaining minced garlic (this will imbue the meal with fresh garlic flavor and more of its health benefits).
9. Enjoy over rice.