I used to make a lot of quiche in Paraguay. Spinach didn’t grow so well in my garden there, but swiss chard did. I made quiche out of swiss chard most of the time. The great thing about quiche is that you can use all sorts of ingredients including bacon, sausage, ham… or just stick with the vegetables if you’re going for a vegetarian dish:)
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 tablespoons cold water
1lb Spinach or 1 bunch Swiss Chard
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (sliced)
1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
1) To prepare crust: Combine flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Make a well in the center and add 1/3 cup oil and 5 tablespoons water.
2) Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the dry to form a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface until the dough comes together. Wrap in plastic and chill for 15 minutes.
3) Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat your baking dish with oil.
4) Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to the prepared pan and press into the bottom and up the sides. Trim any overhanging dough and use it to patch any spots that don’t come all the way up the sides. Prick the bottom and sides with a fork in a few places. Bake the crust until firm and lightly brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
5) To prepare filling: Melt the butter in a pan and sautee the onions and garlic until tender. Remove from heat. Thoroughly wash the spinach or swiss chard and chop. Wash the parsley and chop. Set aside the chopped spinach and parsely.
6) In a large bowl beat the eggs. Pour in milk. Shred the sharp cheddar over the eggs. Add the cooked onions and garlic. Toss in the chopped spinach and parsley. Stir together all of the ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
7) Pour the filling into the crust. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until it is light brown. The center should be solid. When done, remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.