Here’s an easy way to eat kale for breakfast. It’s also a nice way to turn fried eggs into something healthier and tastier. You’ll find that, along with kale, most of the greens we grow can be prepared in the same fashion. For example, Turnip Greens on Eggs.
1. Rinse the kale leaves and tear them up by hand, leaving behind the stems. One of our CSA members told me that he always uses this method to “chop” up kale. It’s fast and there’s little waste.
2. In a small frying pan, begin sautéing the onion. I usually use butter, but this time I used bacon fat.
3. Almost immediately after you toss in the onion, crack two eggs over it and grind some black pepper and maybe sprinkle a little salt on top.
4. When ready, flip the eggs and lay down some slices of cheddar. I always turn off the heat at this moment because I like my eggs cooked over-medium. Remove the eggs from the frying pan.
5. Turn the burner back on, toss in the kale, and pour a small amount of water over it. Immediately cover the kale with a lid. If the frying pan is hot enough, the water should instantly begin to steam and by covering it, the kale will cook within 1 minute. Stir the kale around. Turn off the burner. If you want to, sprinkle with a little bit of salt and stir it around some more. Some people really like the taste of steamed kale with some butter too.
6. Add the newly steamed kale to your eggs. Eat with toast or pancakes or with whatever else you are eating for breakfast : )
1 thought on “Steamed Kale on Eggs”
Your recipes are amazing!