Ah, muffins! Nature’s perfect food…
I had a fancy to see if I could make a sweet potato muffin using grated raw sweet potato in the style of a zucchini muffin …. and it turns out you can. These were the breakfast offering here at Chez Streit for the first morning of November, and they turned out very agreeably.
My recipe below is a slight adaptation of a recipe that I found here at AllRecipes.com.
Makes 12 generous muffins.
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Mix together sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla extract.
3) In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt.
4) Add the grated sweet potato to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix together.
5) Pour in the wet ingredients and stir everything together. Your batter will be fairly thick at this point; that’s normal. Mine looked like this:
6) Add the raisins and walnuts and stir them in.
7) Grease your muffin pan and spoon the batter into the pan. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the middle of the biggest muffin comes out clean. Serve warm.