For the past few weeks, after distribution, I’ve been making variations on tomato soup. I’m calling it “Tomato Soup Tuesdays.” Since it’s been getting darker earlier and a bit cooler outside it’s nice to have a pot of soup simmering on the stovetop. I borrowed the idea of combining coconut milk with puréed tomatoes, onions, and garlic from Tinicum CSA member Julia K. With coconut milk the soup ends up being especially rich and delicious. Give it a try!
- 3/4 full blender of chopped tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 potato
- 1 Delicata Squash
- 1 sprig of basil (optional)
- Parsley (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
1. On a large oiled baking sheet toss the chopped potato and delicate squash. I used olive oil and I cut the potato and squash into bite sized pieces. Remember that you can eat the skin of the delicate squash so don’t worry about peeling it. Sprinkle salt and pepper over it and bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until brown. Stir it around a few times so that most of the edges cook.
2. In a blender combine tomatoes, onions, garlic, and carrot. Since you’ll be blending these items together you can chop them into bigger pieces. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour the blended veggies into a medium sized sauce pan and begin to simmer on low heat. Stir in an entire can of coconut milk. Continue to simmer.
4. Once the potatoes and squash are finished cooking add them to the soup.
5. Add chopped basil and parsley (optional).
6. Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!