Create a salad fit for an Emperor, right in your own kitchen!
- about 1 head of Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- cubed, cooked chicken breast or fake chicken, optional
- some croutons
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 cloves of garlic, mashed generously with salt until pasty
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 splashes of Worcestershire sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
1) Assemble your troops.
2) Plop the 3 garlic cloves into your mortar. Salt them generously, and mash them with the pestle to grind the salt into the garlic. The result should be an intensely salty, intensely garlicky paste.
3) Whisk together the egg yolk, olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
4) Stir in the salt-garlic paste to the rest of the dressing (above).
5) Wash your lettuce and tear into bite-sized pieces in your serving bowl.
6) Add croutons and grated Parmesan cheese. If you’re using chicken or chick-un of some sort, add it now.
7) Drizzle everything with the dressing and toss. Success!