I decided to fry some okra the other night and it was good. I had it over brown rice, alongside a cheeseburger, and a salad. The okra ended up being a crispy, delicious side with the meal. Try it!
Okra, 8-12 (chopped)
3/4 cup Corn Meal
Canola Oil (1/2 cup)
1. Wash the okra and chop it into bite-sized pieces.
2. Sprinkle salt over the chopped okra. This will draw out some of the moisture and makes for a crispier result.
3. In a small bowl, beat the egg.
4. Put the cornmeal in another small bowl.
5. Begin heating the canola oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat. I used a cast iron pan. This is basically how I deep fry anything. I’m genrous with the oil so that the item being fried cooks quickly and evenly. Make sure the oil is hot before you put in the okra. Be careful with the hot oil.
6. After about 2 minutes or once the oil is hot, dip small handfulls of okra in the egg and then in the corn meal, and gently drop them into the frying pan. Do this until you’ve filled the frying pan, and hopefully used up all of the okra. The cornmeal coated okra should sizzle and much of it will stick together like a funnel cake. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip it over with a metal spatula. Once it is cooked on both sides, remove it from the pan. Serve with ketchup, hot sauce, whatever you like.